- South Africa. Compensation Commission of South Africa
Plays a significant role in the reduction of unemployment, poverty and inequality by developing policies and programs in partnership with other organizations that share the same objectives:
- Improved economic efficiency and productivity
- Skills development and employment creation
- Sound labour relations
- Eliminating inequality and discrimination in the workplace
- Alleviating poverty in employment
- Germany. Commission for Occupational Health and Safety and Standardization ( KAN )
- Asociación Latinoamericana de Seguridad e Higiene en el Trabajo ( ALASEHT )
- Australia. Comcare
- Australian Safety and Compensation Council
- Australia's National Industrial Chemicals Notification and Assessment Scheme ( NICNAS )
- Australia. Tasmania Regulators
- Australia. ACT Workcover
- Australia. Australian Safety and Compensation Council ( ASCC )
- Australia. New South Wales Workcover
- Australie. Northern Territory WorkSafe
- Australia. Queensland Government. Workplace Health and Safety
- Australia. SafeWork SA of South Australia
- Australia. Victorian Workcover Authority
- Australia. Workcover South Australia
Includes one section on how to register for the employer and entrepreneur insurance plan as well as possible exemptions. Presents the necessary forms for claims following an injury, as well as other tools, including the incentive program for employers promoting a return to work of workers undergoing rehabilitation. Encourages health service providers and offers several occupational safety resources. Details the involvement of several committees whose mandate is to ensure health and safety in their respective fields (care for aged people, horticulture, meat processing, plastic and rubber manufacture, etc.)
- Australia. Worksafe Western Australia
- Belgique. Fonds des accidents du travail
- Belgique. Fonds des maladies professionnelles
- Belgique. Service public fédéral de la sécurité sociale
- Belgique. Service public fédéral Emploi, Travail et Concertation sociale
- Transportation Safety Board of Canada ( TSB )
Promotes transportation safety by conducting investigations on transport events that have occurred in the marine, pipeline, rail and air modes of transportation. Describes the investigation process and the SECURITAS program, whose role is to allow the population to report incidents or situations that present risks related to the transportation network in Canada. Presents the travel and hospitality expenses of senior level employees.
- Canada / British Columbia. Worker’s Compensation Board Review Division
- Canada / British Columbia. Workers' Compensation Appeal Tribunal ( WCAT )
- Canada / British Columbia. Workers' Compensation Board of British Columbia
Describes a variety of studies carried out in health and safety in the following work sectors:
- Health care
- Performing arts and film
- Petroleum (oil & gas)
- Tourism and hospitality
- Small business
Makes the task of employees easier by recommending what should be done in the event of an occupational injury, by allowing them to follow online the status of their claim, by addressing a few aspects of a return to work, etc. Describes the insurance coverage for small companies and the related premiums.
- Canada / Prince Edward Island. Workers' Compensation Board of Prince Edward Island
Develops prevention activities such as workplace inspections in compliance with current laws and regulations, investigations following accidents or complaints, as well as education programs (workshops, annual conferences and training sessions adapted to each work environment). Explains the compensation offered to employees for occupational accidents, which is based on the principle of no-fault insurance. Disseminates the preliminary policy in order to obtain the public’s contribution to its development.
- Canada / Manitoba. Manitoba Labour Department. Workplace Safety and Health Division
Defines the inspection services, whose task is to evaluate the efficiency of employers’ health and safety programs. Includes subdivisions on mine safety, occupational health and safety, and on the mechanical and engineering division. Describes the agriculture program, whose objective to make Manitoba’s farms a safer place to live and work. Presents the Advisory Council on Workplace Safety and Health.
- Canada / Manitoba. Workers' Compensation Board of Manitoba
Details the services offered online to accelerate the administrative process, namely accident reports and clearances. Devotes one section to workers that indicates how to fill out a claim, the benefits that they can receive, and the services offered (for example, vocational rehabilitation). Also provides resources to employers on registering and classification of their businesses, the evaluation criteria based on the category to which they belong, the choice of an optional special coverage, etc.
- Canada / New-Brunswick. Workplace Health, Safety, and Compensation Commission of New-Brunswick ( WHSCC )
Administers no-fault insurance against workplace accidents and disability, and well-designed health, safety and accident prevention initiatives for employers and their employees. Devotes one section to workers (relating to rights, responsibilities, protection, occupational accidents, claim process, etc.) and another to employers (premiums, responsibilities, accident reports, etc.)
- Canada / Nova Scotia. Workers' Compensation Board of Nova Scotia
Advises young people from 15 to 24 years of age on their rights and responsibilities to avoid workplace injuries. Describes the organization’s prevention role, which mainly takes the form of a training service, and indicates the benefits and services that workers or employers covered by the insurance are entitled to. Offers a short guide on the procedures for appealing a decision, and devotes one section to legislation and regulations, with one part relating to fire fighters.
- Canada / Ontario. Workplace Safety & Insurance Board of Ontario ( WSIB )
Wants to eliminate all occupational diseases and injuries in Ontario by promoting the creation of healthy and safe workplaces and by offering a viable and complete insurance and support plan to injured workers and employers. Includes one section intended for health professionals and resources to help maintain a safe workplace. Answers the main questions of workers and employees regarding insurance against occupational accidents.
- Canada / Ontario. Ministry of Labour. Health and Safety
Bases its mission on improving health, safety and equity and relations in workplaces and in the community in general. Applies employment standards by settling complaints, by providing information to employees and employers, and by carrying out investigations on presumed violations of the 2000 Labour Standards Act. Presents the Occupational Health and Safety Act and a guide that explains what the people involved must know on this subject. Provides assistance regarding the settling of collective agreements and the gathering of information about collective agreements.
- Canada / Ontario. Ministry of Labour. Health and Safety Legislation
- Canada / Ontario. Workplace Safety and Insurance Appeals Tribunal ( WSIAT )
- Canada / Quebec. Annuaire des régies régionales
- Canada / Quebec. Commission de la santé et de la sécurité du travail du Québec ( CSST )
Defines some aspects of prevention, rights to compensation and rehabilitation, as well the steps to be followed to obtain financing. Includes a section answering workers’ main questions and another answering employers’ questions on the following subjects: the possible procedures in the event of workplace accidents, danger-free pregnancy, the right of refusal, etc. Provides information on the suppliers of health services and the agency’s partners.
- Canada / Quebec. Commission des lésions professionnelles ( CLP )
Plays the role of administrative tribunal of last resort for workers and employers go who are contesting a decision of the Commission de la santé et de la sécurité du travail. Presents a section that explains the steps to be taken to contest a decision as well as a section on conciliation and its advantages. Gives an overview of the laws and regulations governing the Commission’s decisions.
- Canada / Québec. Commission des normes du travail
Presents the labour standards relating to wages, tips, duration of work, annual holidays, legal holidays, non-working days and paid working days, etc. Defines the laws and regulations in effect as well as the recourse in the event that monetary regulations are not respected, for forbidden practices, employer bankruptcy, and several other situations. Devotes one section to young workers and another to employers, and includes a special section on psychological harassment.
- Canada / Québec. Ministère de la santé et des services sociaux
- Canada / Québec. Ministère du travail ( Travail Québec )
- Canada / Québec. Régie régionale de la santé et des services sociaux de Montréal-Centre. Direction de la santé publique de Montréal
- Saskatchewan. Department of Labour. Office of the Worker's Advocate
- Canada / Saskatchewan. Labour Relations and Workplace Safety
accidents, hazards, concern or harassment were noted. Offers training and advice in this area and provides laboratory expertise for the analysis of chemical, biological or radiological risks. Includes various information sections on the following subjects:
- Rights and duties in the workplace
- First aid
- Infectious materials
- Canada / Saskatchewan. Saskatchewan Workers' Compensation Board
Provides no-fault insurance and protects both employers and workers against injuries that could occur in the workplace. Offers a variety of services and prevention programs. Presents the site’s information in three main sections:
- Employers (coverage, prevention, filing claims, premiums, etc.)
- Workers (coverage, prevention, when injury occurs, benefits, rehabilitation)
- Caregivers (basics, early intervention, appointments, billing, etc.)
- Canada / Newfoundland and Labrador. Workplace Heath, Safety and Compensation Commission of Newfoundland and Labrador
Collaborates with the groups from different work environments to prevent accidents, manage work-related diseases or injuries and promote the return of employees on sick leave. Explains the recourse of an injured worker whose employer is protected by the Workplace Health, Safety and Compensation Act, whose insurance principle is no-fault.
- Canada / Northwest Territories and Nunavut. Workers' Compensation Board of Northwest Territories and Nunavut
Groups information into three main categories:
- Workers (information for filing claims, understanding the appeal process and your rights and responsibilities as a worker)
- Employers (information on registering with the WCB, the creation of injury and accident reports, the training available, etc.)
- Medical professionals (information on the policies to be followed, the return to work of an injured employee, permanent disability, etc.)
- Canada / Yukon. Yukon Workers' Compensation Health and Safety Board
- Canada. Association of Workers' Compensation Boards of Canada ( AWCBC )
Provides financial and statistical data from boards to describe the state of the entire compensation plan for workers in Canada and to establish comparisons between the provinces and territories. Presents the National Work Injuries Statistics Program. Adopts a statement of common needs that emphasizes the most urgent problems that the different workers’ compensation boards in the country must face:
- Occupational disease, injury and health services
- Intervention research
- Compensation, disability management and return to work
- Changing nature of work and the work environment
- Transferring research knowledge to the workplace
- Canada. Hazardous Materials Information Review Commission ( HMIRC )
- Canada. Human Resources and Skill Development. Workplace Health and Safety
- Canada / Quebec. Liste des centres locaux de services communautaires ( CLSC )
- Canada. Health Canada’s Pest Management Regulatory Agency ( PMRA )
- canada. Health Canada. Radiation Protection Bureau
Defines the bureau’s mission, which consists of investigating, communicating and reducing health risks to Canadians from exposure to ionizing and non-ionizing radiation. Offers documents of a general interest on radiation protection dealing with occupational exposure to radiation, cosmic radiation and depleted uranium. Lists the main responsibilities of Health Canada regarding radiation protection.
- Canada. Workplace Hazardous Materials Information System ( WHMIS )
- Costa-Rica. Instituto Nacional de Seguros ( INS )
- Czech Republic. National Institute of Public Health (NIPH)
Presents a register of the work-related diseases with different origins that occurred between 1996 and 2003 in the Czech Republic: chemical substances; physical factors; relating to the respiratory pathways, lungs, pleura and peritoneum; infections; etc. Lists the projects that received grants, and the Centre’s research groups, mainly including occupational hygiene, biotransformation, toxicological analysis, work-related diseases, etc.
- Danemark. Danish Working Environment Authority
- Danemark. National Board of Industrial Injuries
- Spain. Asociación de Mutuas de Accidentes de Trabajo ( AMAT )
- Spain. Instituto Nacional de Gestion Sanitaria
- U.S. / Alabama. Alabama Department of Industrial Relations. Workers' Compensation Division
- U.S. / Alaska. Alaska Department of Labor & Workplace development. Division of Workers' Compensation
- U.S. / Arizona. Industrial Commission of Arizona
- U.S. / Arkansas. Arkansas Workers' Compensation Commission
- United States / California. California Department of Industrial Relations
Attempts to improve the working conditions of California employees and to create favorable job opportunities for them. Is interested in worker compensation, occupational health and safety, labor legislation and apprenticeship. Also includes a mediation and conciliation component as well as another on statistics and research.
- U.S. / California. Commission on Health and Safety and Workers' Compensation
- U.S. / California. Division of Workers' Compensation
- U.S. / California. Workers' Compensation Appeals Board ( WCAB )
- U.S. / Colorado. Colorado Department of Labor & Employment. Division of Workers' Compensation ( DWC )
- U.S. / Connecticut. Workers’ Compensation Commission
- U.S. / Delaware. Office of Workers' Compensation
- U.S. / Florida. Division of Workers' Compensation
- U.S. / Georgie. State Board of Workers' Compensation
- U.S. / Hawaii. Workers Compensation and Safety
- U.S. / Idaho. Idaho Industrial Commission
- États-Unis / Illinois. Illinois Public Risk Fund
- U.S. / Indiana. Worker's Compensation Board of Indiana
- U.S. / Iowa. Division of Workers' Compensation
- U.S. / Kansas. Kansas Division of Workers Compensation
- U.S. / Kentucky. Kentucky Employers' Mutual Insurance ( KEMI )
- U.S. / Louisiana. Workers' Compensation Corporation ( LWCC )
- U.S. / Maine. Maine Worker's Compensation Board
- U.S. / Maryland. Maryland Workers' Compensation Commission
- U.S. / Massachusetts. Department of Industrial Accidents
- U.S. / Michigan. Workers' Compensation Agency
- U.S. / Minnesota. Minnesota OSHA ( MNOSHA )
- États-Unis / Mississippi. Mississippi Workers' Compensation Commission
- U.S. / Missouri. Division of Workers' Compensation
- U.S. / Montana. Workers' Compensation Claims Assistance Bureau
- U.S. / Montana. Workers' Compensation Regulation Bureau
- U.S. / Nebraska. Nebraska Workers' Compensation Court
- U.S. / Nevada. Dept of Business & Industry, Div of Industrial Relations. Workers' Compensation Section
- U.S. / New Hampshire. Department of Labor. Workers' Compensation Division
- États-Unis / New Jersey. Department of Labor. Division of Workers' Compensation
- U.S. / New Mexico. Workers' Compensation Administration
- États-Unis / New York. Workers' Compensation Board
- U.S. / North Carolina. North Carolina Industrial Commission
- U.S. / North Dakota. Workforce Safety & Insurance
- U.S. / Ohio. Ohio Bureau of Workers' Compensation
- United States / Oklahoma. Department of Labor. Workers' Compensation Enforcement
- U.S. / Oregon. Workers' Compensation Division
- U.S. / Pennsylvania. Departmentt of Labor & Industry. Workers' Compensation
- U.S. / Rhode Island. Workers’ Compensation Court
- U.S. / South Carolina. Workers' Compensation Commission
- U.S. / South Dakota. South Dakota Department of Labor
- U.S. / Tennessee. Tennessee Department of Labor & Workforce Development. Workers' Compensation Division
- U.S. / Texas. Texas Workers' Compensation Commission
- U.S. / Utah. Labor Commission of Utah. Division of Industrial Accidents
- U.S. / Vermont. Department of Labor & Industry. Workers' Compensation Division
- U.S. / Virginia. Workers' Compensation Commission
- U.S. / Washington. Washington State Departmentt of Labor & Industries
- U.S. / West Virginia. Workers' Compensation Division
- U.S. / Wisconsin. Wisconsin Departement of Workforce Development. Worker's Compensation
- U.S. / Wyoming. Department of Employment. Workers' Safety and Compensation Division
- United States. Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry ( ASTDR )
Serves the public by using the best science, taking responsive public health actions, and providing trusted health information to prevent harmful exposures and disease related to toxic substances. Includes an information section on hazardous substances and another with some resources to be used in emergencies. Mainly includes sections reserved for children and their parents, health professionals and American Indian tribes.
- U.S. American Association of State Compensation Insurance Funds ( AASCIF )
Takes a position of leadership in the provision of services to employers and injured workers as well as in the reformation and improvement of workers’ compensation. Describes the types of state funds and their role in employee compensation, their history and the advantages that they provide over private insurance.
- United States. Department of Energy. Office of Health, Safety and Security
Contains a database that includes situations referring to certain problems and the lessons learned from their analysis. Is also interested in the following aspects:
- Environment (environmental policy, pollution prevention, etc.)
- Health (worker protection policy, occupational health and safety programs, international programs, etc.)
- Planning and administration (policies and procedures, strategic plan, budget and administration, etc.)
- Workers’ claims
- Nuclear activities (nuclear safety, operations support, etc.)
- Performance assessment and quality (quality assurance programs, production experience, and performance analysis, etc.)
- Integrated safety management
- Environmental management system
- U.S. Department of Labor. Mine Safety and Health Administration ( MSHA )
Provides resources and assistance in the application and understanding of laws, regulations and policies. Defines the alliance program with other organizations whose mandate is also to promote worker health and safety in mines. Describes the training offered at the National Mine Health and Safety Academy for future mine investigators and offers resources on this subject. Provides technical assistance regarding the approval of products used in mines and various aspects such as ventilation, electricity, dust, emergency measures, etc.
- United States. National Transportation Safety Board ( NTSB )
- U.S. Occupational Safety & Health Review Commission
Posts the internal regulations that the Commission must follow to render its judgements relating to disagreements between the Department of Labor and employers. Provides access to all the official judgements established over the last few years regarding contests of citations in the United States. Presents some of the Department’s administrative documents such as strategic plans, performance reports and budgets.
- U.S. Occupational Safety and Health Administration ( OSHA )
Contains resources and information on different aspects of occupational health and safety, mainly the communication of dangers, construction, the degree of preparation for emergencies, ergonomics and the maritime industry. Details many of the laws and regulations that standardize the health and safety situation of employees. Presents the cooperative programs that the organization participates in and includes one section on data and statistics.
- United States. US Environmental Protection Agency. Indoor Air Quality
Is interested in what reduces air quality in homes, namely pollution sources (combustion sources, some deteriorated building materials and furnishings as well as household cleaning and maintenance products) and poor ventilation. Devotes specific sections to molds, asthma, secondhand smoke, and radon gas. One section is on large area buildings and another on children.
- United States. US Environmental Protection Agency. Office of Pesticide Programs
Answers a few questions about pesticides, such as their definition, the products that contain them, their related hazards, the different types that exist, etc. Describes the effects of pesticides on the environment and provides resources for eliminating plant-borne insect problems effectively and correctly. Explains the legislation activities undertaken by the agency to control the use of pesticides and the application of the regulations.
- Finland. Ministry of Social Affairs and Health
Is interested in numerous subjects including social protection, which makes it possible to provide for the needs of the population in health, income and other services. Provides family support in parental leave, adoption and financial assistance. Promotes social assistance and establishes health policies. Also defines social insurance, safety at work, and gender equality.
- Finland. Safety Technology Authority ( TUKES )
Its mission is based on protecting the population, goods and environment against risks, and on promoting reliable and safe technology. Offers support to professionals and consumers and participates in the development of national and international legislation. Operates in the following activity sectors:
- Electricity and elevators
- Dangerous goods
- Pressure equipment
- Legal metrology
- Precious metals
- Rescue service equipment
- Construction materials
- Inspection bodies
- France. Caisse régionale d'assurance-maladie d'Ile de France ( CRAMIF )
- France. Inspection du Travail et des Mines
- France. Ministère du travail, des relations sociales, de la famille, de la solidarité et de la ville. Santé, sécurité au travail
- Greece. Social Insurance Institution ( IKA )
- Tri-National Working Group of Government Experts
on Workplace Safety and Health ( NAALCOSH )
Group established for the purpose of strengthening labour relationships between the United States, Mexico and Canada, consisting of government occupational health and safety experts in the three signing countries. Mainly presents national health and safety programs established in this field, standards, inspections, legislation and the training in each country.
- Health and Safety Executive for Northern Ireland ( HSENI )
- Health and Safety Laboratory ( HSL )
Presents the bibliography of the main documents published HSL since 1995. Describes the importance of proficiency tests in the accuracy of the laboratory results obtained. Mentions the institution’s main fields of expertise:
- Fire, explosion and process safety
- Human factors and risk assessment
- Occupational and environmental health
- Safety engineering
- Work environment
- Photographic and technical services
- Specialist scientific facilities
- Hungarian Labour Inspectorate (HLI)
- India. Directorate General, Factory Advice and Labour Institutes ( DGFASLI )
Defines the initiatives taken by the organization in its 10-year plan as well as the consulting services available. Provides research reports on the health and safety of workers in pesticide industries in India. Presents the schedule of the training programs during the year.
- International Association of Industrial Accident Boards and Commissions ( IAIABC )
Mentions the current research subjects, namely evidence based medicine, evaluating and reforming medical fee schedules, firefighters’ presumptions of injury, cross border coverage and claims, medicare and workers’ compensation, bankruptcy of self insured employers, etc. Proposes evaluating light injuries and permanent injuries more precisely in order to better comply with the compensation system.
- International Association of Labour Inspection ( IALI )
- International Network for Environmental Compliance and Enforcement ( INECE )
- Ireland. Health and Safety Authority ( HSA )
Promotes the occupational health and safety standards to be followed, inspects workplaces and ensures that they comply with the law and investigates accidents and the causes of various diseases. Also offers research funding, publishes notes of recommendations, and offers an information service. Develops new laws and standards. Is interested in the field of chemistry, construction and manual work and stress.
- Israel Institute for Occupational Safety and Hygiene ( IIOSH )
Addresses the different international cooperation projects conducted by the institute and lists the services offered to industries, for example the initiation of surveys, health and safety promotion, a mobile training service intended for contractors on sites, etc. Defines the organization’s main departments:
- Engineering and computerization
- Italy. Italian Workers' Compensation Authority ( INAIL )
Its aim is to reduce the accident phenomenon, to insure workers who perform hazardous activities, and to ensure that workplace accident victims undergo professional and social life reinsertion. Defines the types of benefits offered by the institute and gives an overview of its prevention activities. Presents a few publications, including a benefits guide, women at work, and insurance against household accidents.
- Latvia. State Labour Inspectorate ( SLI )
- Luxembourg. Association d'assurance contre les accidents ( AAA )
- Luxembourg. Ministère de la sécurité sociale du Grand-Duché de Luxembourg
- Malasya. National Institute of Occupational Safety & Health
Explains the Institute’s motto regarding occupational health and safety, which is aimed primarily at managers and team leaders. Presents various products available for companies, mainly posters, videos, signage, safety equipment, etc. Devotes specific sections to ergonomics, occupational health, safety and hygiene, as well as another to small and medium sized companies.
- Malta. Occupational Health & Safety Authority
- New Zealand. Workplace Health and Safety Strategy for New Zealand to 2015
- New Zealand’s. Accident Compensation Corporation
- Noise at work in the music and entertainment sectors - Sound Advice website (HSE)
- Nouvelle-Zélande. Department of Labor. Health and Safety
- New Zealand. Environmental Risk Management Authority ( ERMA )
- New Zeland. Occupational Safety and Health Service / Worksafe New Zealand
Describes the objectives of the Hazardous Substances and New Organisms (HSNO) Act 1996 and the Health and Safety in Employment (HSE) Act 1992. Lists the services offered to companies: health and safety assistance, workplace visits, notifications, investigations, enforcement, engineering safety, and accident insurance regulation. Offers a detailed list of publications classified by subject and devotes one section to children.
- European Social Insurance Platform ( ESIP )
- Poland. National Labour Inspectorate
- Portugal. Autoridade para as Condições do Trabalho ( ACT )
- Republic of Philippines. Department of Labor and Employment. Occupational Safety and Health Center
Offers summaries of all the research carried out since 1988. Gives an overview of the programs implemented by the organization, mainly to promote health in the workplace and for the risks related to AIDS as well as to defend women and children who represent vulnerable employees in some sectors. Devotes one section to the laws and policies referring, for example, to tuberculosis control, drug abuse, risks for children, and women’s health and safety.
- Great Britain. Health & Safety Executive ( HSE )
Looks after health and safety in nuclear installations and mines, factors, farms, hospitals and schools, offshore gas and oil installations, the gas grid and the movement of dangerous goods and substances, railways, etc. Responsible for the regulation of almost all the risks to occupational health and safety in Britain.
- Health Canada. Environmental & Workplace Health
- Singapore. Ministry of Manpower. Occupational Safety and Health Division ( OSHD )
List the notifiable occupational diseases that must be reported to the Chief Inspector of Factories. Mentions the laws that employers must comply with, mainly regarding noise, first aid and exposure to chemical substances. Describes the incentive projects implemented and awards offered to companies in recognition of their efforts in minimizing health hazards. Provides some publications, including some guidelines for improving some important employee health aspects.
- Slovakian Labour Inspectorate
- Slovenian Labour Inspectorate
- Sweden. Swedish Work Environment Authority ( SWEA )
- Suisse. Commission fédérale de coordination pour la sécurité du travail ( CFST / EKAS )
- Travailler mieux
- Tunisian Occupational Health and Safety Institute ( TOSHI )
- United States Chemical Safety and Hazard Investigation Board ( CSB )
Investigates chemical accidents in order to determine their causes, and develops safety recommendations for government offices, unions, commercial associations and other types of organizations in order to reduce risks. Lists the accidents currently being investigated or have been investigated and gives a brief description of each. Provides a list of recommendations that were made to different organizations.
- Venezuela. Instituto Nacional de Prevencion, Salud y Seguridad Laborales